The 6 Reasons You’ll Get the Job is full of fresh new ideas for job seekers. It can help you develop a job search strategy that will make you stand out from the crowd and get hired faster.

Access Your Advantage Over Other Job Seekers

It can be futile to job search like everyone else and you could be decreasing your odds by searching in the wrong market.

“In bad economic times, employers who are hiring abandon the Open Job Market—where jobs are advertised to the general public—for the Hidden Job Market—where jobs are not advertised.”

We’ve all heard that sending dozens of resumes a day to people you’ve found on Craiglist doesn’t increase your odds of getting a call back but here are some brutal stats to drive it home:

“In good economic times, it is estimated that about 20 percent of available jobs are advertised in the Open Market and the remaining 80 percent are found in the Hidden Market. Yet most job seekers (eight out of ten) search primarily in the Open Market. Clearly your odds are better in the Hidden Market, where you compete with only two applicants for eight jobs.”

Find the Side Doors to Get Hired Faster

To tap into the Hidden Market you need to know how to use side doors.

The authors say, “Many of the side doors we recommend allow employers to see you ‘do the job,’ reducing their sense of risk…and increases your chance of being hired.”

Make acquaintances with people that have ins in companies you’re interested in. Employers often look for references from inside first and don’t even call unknown applicants.

And don’t worry if you aren’t best friends with these references. Just having a small connection will do; “…more than 55 percent of job seekers saw their references only occasionally, and 28 percent saw them rarely.” Of course, reaching out on LinkedIn is a great way to start developing these important connections.

[rad_rapidology_inline optin_id=”optin_1″]

Plan for Success

There are six main factors that come into play during the hiring process: presentation, ability, dependability, motivation, attitude, and network. Using the PADMAN framework, the authors show how employers evaluate each quality.

PADMAN is your best defense against getting screened out during the hiring process. Of course it’s good to make sure you have personalized examples of how you excel in each category but it’s also important to customize it to specific employers.

“Each company will define their PADMAN slightly differently, because each company has a different image, personality, and set of goals. Understanding how employers judge each category allows you to identify their preferences and tailor your marketing strategy.”

An employer hiring for a customer service position will probably look first at presentation and attitude. For a sales position, your network will be the hot ticket item.

Speaking of networking, here are some interesting statistics from a survey about reputation management that’ll encourage you to clean up your online profile: “86 percent of executive recruiters look online for information that goes beyond a candidate’s resume, and nearly seven in ten say job candidates’ prospects improve when positive information is found online.”

Tip the Balance in Your Favor

Don’t forget that in the eyes of an employer, you’re a financial investment. Make sure you’re a wise one. “The employer makes a wise investment when the benefits he gains outweigh the risks and costs.”

It’s helpful to gauge your cost benefit ratio before the hiring process begins.

If there are any gaps in your resume that an employer could use to screen you out, you should seek out side doors before you submit a resume. This will give you the opportunity to convince an employer of the benefits of hiring you before they’ve even seen a red flag.

With this book as a guide, you can build the best plan for highlighting your assets and cushioning your weaknesses. Not only can you get the job, you can get it faster.

Find more materials and resources like the Wall of Side Doors at www.the6reasons.com

 

Joshua Waldman, author of Job Searching with Social Media For Dummies, is recognized as one of the nation's top authorities in Social Media Career Advancement. To learn Joshua’s secret strategies for shortening the job search and getting the right job right away, Get The Missing Manual for LinkedIn Success

Get the Missing Manual to LinkedIn Success

Enter your email address below to start... it's 100% FREE!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

The Missing Manual to LinkedIn Success

This 6-day email course will completely change the way you think about your job search. Give it a try at no cost.

Please Check Your Email to Get Started. 

Shares