Looking for a new job isn’t a fun process at the best of times, but extra challenges have been added since Covid-19 began. It can feel overwhelming to even begin the job hunt. If you’ve found yourself in this position, or if you’ll be there soon, here are a few tips that can help you.
Update Your Resume The Right Way
The first step is to update your resume, but it isn’t just the content that’s important.
- Find a resume template that looks professional, but that isn’t a standard choice. Hiring managers look through dozens of applications, make yours noticeable.
- The way you explain your experience is more important than your actual experience. Tailor your description of previous work to highlight skills that match the requirements of the job you’re applying to.
- Customize your resume every time. Make small changes to your resume that show you actually read the description of the job you’re applying to.
In a crowded job market, it’s important to stand out from other applicants. Your resume is your first, and sometimes only, chance to achieve that.
Search In The Right Places
There are thousands of places and ways for potential employers to put the word out that they’re hiring. So where should you begin your search?
- Ask others in your desired field how they went about finding their job and if they know of any openings.
- Look for job search engines that are unique to your field. For example, Practice Match only has lists of jobs in the medical field. Sites like this can shorten your search.
- Make a list of companies you’d be interested in working for and get in touch with them directly to see if they’re hiring.
- Look for staffing agencies with a credible history. Agencies can be incredibly helpful with getting interviews, but be cautious. Check their reviews online before contacting them.
You don’t want to waste time looking in the wrong places. Do some research and see what works best for job seekers in your field.
Decide If Gig Work Is For You
Gig work has grown in popularity since Covid-19 began. This is due to both employers and employees seeking flexibility in the workplace. Here are some pros and cons to keep in mind when deciding if it’s right for you.
- Pro: You’ll have more control over your schedule than you would with a traditional job.
- Pro: It’s a great way to try out something new.
- Pro: Treatment of gig workers is improving. The UK recently declared that Uber drivers must be paid a fair wage and given worker’s rights.
- Con: Despite these changes, most gig workers still don’t have access to benefits.
- Con: The work can be unpredictable, which means your paychecks will also.
Even if gig work doesn’t offer what you need in a full-time job, it can help keep you going during your job search. Look into the options in your area to see if there’s something that could work for you.
Keep An Open Mind
Covid-19 has caused major changes to how some industries do business. Keeping an open mind when applying for positions is important, you may even find that you like the new way of doing things better.
- Many companies are working from home at least some of the time.
- Virtual meetings are replacing in-person meetings in many areas.
- Offices and shared spaces may be a little different due to social distancing.
Research how Covid-19 may have changed what you can expect when going into a new job so you can be prepared on day one.
Finding a new job in the era of Covid-19 can be difficult, but if you keep these tips in mind you’ll be on the fast track to success.