Lisa Mandell, an experienced journalist, and who appeared recently on The Early Show about her book Career Comeback, had to take years off of her resume.
- She took off the words “20 years experience”
- Removed the dates from her education section
- Removed some of her earlier jobs
- Asked a 20-something to take her clothes shopping and…
- Hired a professional photographer
- Most important, she got online with a personal website
And suddenly, she was getting call backs from potential employers.
She re-branded to a ‘hipper’ image.
Focus on what you can do for the company in the future, not on what you’ve done in the past.”
Watch this video for some ideas about mitigating ageism in the hiring process.